YOU MAY RETURN BOOKS AND DVDs BEGINNING JUNE 9, 2020
We will open Tuesdays and Saturdays 11 am to 2 pm – starting with book and DVD return only, plus special requests throughout June, aiming for allowing members to browse the collection one person at a time at the beginning of July.
- Reading Centre Members are asked to return books in plastic or paper bags clearly marked with the date and their name. No fines will apply to Reading Centre materials which were caught up in our Covid-19 closure.
- Requests for books can be left with library volunteers now, to be filled as soon as we can provide limited take-out service. To find out what we have visit our “LibraryThing” Online Catalogue at: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/phreadingcentre Email your requests to: email@example.com
- To access our request form, please click here
- No Reading Centre Members can come into the RC to browse for materials at this time
- We will try to fill requests for specific books in our collection and we will provide “grab bags” that will try to suit your taste in reading material using a request form. This service may be available before the end of June, but get your requests in soon
- Out of an abundance of caution, we will be following the same protocols that larger public libraries are following, including quarantining of incoming and outgoing library materials, frequent cleaning, frequent hand washing, and the use of rubber gloves and face masks, etc. This is to protect both our members and our volunteers.
- If you are actually quarantined at home and are desperate for reading material, please email firstname.lastname@example.org Note your phone number and address in your email, and we will try to get a volunteer to help you by delivering books to your home. This includes access to books online if you don’t know how to do that
- A limited “take out” service is available now through Sechelt Public Library. For details, please see: https://sechelt.bc.libraries.coop/discover/28807-2/
- Digital services are also available through Sechelt Public Library
- At the present time, there is no delivery service available between the Pender Harbour Reading Centre and the Sechelt Public Library
Thanks for your consideration,
Karen Dyck, for the Pender Harbour Reading Centre Board
The Pender Harbour Reading Centre
- The READING CENTRE is operated by the Pender Harbour Reading Society as a non-profit society providing a limited library service to residents of Pender Harbour, Egmont, and Secret Cove. We are managed and are run by an entirely volunteer workforce. Thanks to the devotion and hard work of our volunteers, the library has thrived for more than fifty years. We are always looking for additional volunteers. Find out about volunteering at PHRC.
- We specialize in leisure reading materials, based on the interests of our members. We participate in BC’s Interlibrary Loan System and can borrow books from other libraries, provided they were published two or more years ago.
- We have an almost complete collection of Harbour Publishing’s books. These are books about the Pacific Northwest and, especially the Sunshine Coast. Look for the books with orange dots on the spine.
- Our funding is based upon an initial bequest donated in 1982, other small grants, and donations which are always welcome.