Temporary Closure – March 2020
Out of concern for the health of both our members and our volunteers, the Board of the Pender Harbour Reading Centre is closed at the present time. We will advise our members and the community when we are open again,
- · No fines will apply to any books due during the closure period, or which could have been returned had the Reading Centre been open.
- Please do not return books to the Reading Centre through the book drop during this time, as volunteers will not be in to clear the dropbox. Please hold on to books until we resume regular hours.
- The Sechelt and Gibsons Public Libraries are also closed. Other good sources of reading material are borrowing from friends and family or starting on that big “to read, someday” pile you have accumulated. Online books are available through your Sechelt and District Public Library card or sources suggested here
- If you are actually quarantined at home and are desperate for reading material, please email firstname.lastname@example.org Note your phone number and address in your email, and we will try to get a volunteer to help you by delivering books to your home. This includes access to books online if you don’t know how to do that
We look forward to being open again and serving our community with recreational reading,
Thanks for your consideration,
Karen Dyck, for the Pender Harbour Reading Centre Board
The Pender Harbour Reading Centre
- The READING CENTRE is operated by the Pender Harbour Reading Society as a non-profit society providing a limited library service to residents of Pender Harbour, Egmont, and Secret Cove. We are managed and are run by an entirely volunteer workforce. Thanks to the devotion and hard work of our volunteers, the library has thrived for more than fifty years. We are always looking for additional volunteers. Find out about volunteering at PHRC.
- We specialize in leisure reading materials, based on the interests of our members. We participate in BC’s Interlibrary Loan System and can borrow books from other libraries, provided they were published two or more years ago.
- We have an almost complete collection of Harbour Publishing’s books. These are books about the Pacific Northwest and, especially the Sunshine Coast. Look for the books with orange dots on the spine.
- Our funding is based upon an initial bequest donated in 1982, other small grants, and donations which are always welcome.